Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Lines

Tonight we are off to another concert. We're going to see Okkervil River, who are playing as part of the Perth Arts Festival. It should be pretty nice. Boyfriend and I quite like the band, and I've heard that the venue is pretty good.
Something I used to do a lot of when I went to see bands? Drink. Beer mainly. Or Cider. Of course, I never used to think about what all those "empty" calories were doing to me. I drank when I went out because I enjoyed it. Sometimes it was because I was bored, or as a social lubricant if I didn't know the people we were with that well. Sometimes it was just because it felt like the "thing to do"! Having said this - I also didn't go out that often. It seems to be music/gig season in Perth at the moment, so we're just on a little spree of outings. But, for the most part, we are homebodies.


Beyond that line... it can be a slippery slope.
I have had a stressful few days and I've just been generally grumpy and hard on myself. So, when I thought about going out tonight I thought about maybe having a beer. To kind of unwind.
...And that little thought has stirred up a whole conversation that I've been having in my head for the rest of the day.
 
On the one hand I'm thinking things like: "I haven't had beer in months, so probably one beer would be enough to make me feel quite tipsy"; "I've been doing a lot of extra exercise lately and the extra calories might give my body a bit of a shake-up and increase my loss this week"; "I need to practice having things in moderation to build up my will-power for life post-Optifast".
 
And then there's the other part of my brain saying: "I'm on Optifast - Optifast has been working really well for me, so just stick to the guidelines and stop trying to justify a cheat!" "I shouldn't give in to the temptation to fix things with food OR alcohol - this is unhealthy. If I'm stressed I should find another way to relax." And, kind of related, "I need to learn to have fun without alchohol and food. I will still have a good time without drinking, as I have at other social occasions recently".
 
So, there is a bit of back and forth going on in my head. And, the thing I'm struggling with most is... Am I being too strict? Am I too obsessed with my diet? Am I going to stress myself out so much with all this obsessive thinking that I self-sabotage?
 
I think right now that it's just too dangerous to go breaking my diet. No matter how small an impact it might have (calorie-wise). I have made poor choices my entire life, which is how I got to be so obese in the first place. Right now, especially while I'm still on Optifast, I need to listen to the diet and follow it's plan. It's not like other diets where a cheat meal or day is often even recommended. It's so much more centred on detoxing, control, and re-learning eating habits.
 
Also - I'm kind of afraid of that voice in my head that tells me to indulge, or that a little of this or that "doesn't matter". That's the same voice that got me to 120kgs. That's the same voice that kept me "on a diet" for the past 4 or so years - starting every morning, and wrecking it by the afternoon because "just a bit can't hurt".
 
So... here's a few questions for any of you reading:
  • Where do you draw the line on your diet?
  • Is there any time you let yourself indulge?
  • Can there ever be such a thing as "moderation" for someone who's been morbidly obese and has struggled with portion control, emotional eating and binge eating?
  • And also... Are all excuses just excuses? If I'm trying to rationalise something so much... is this a danger sign? Or, should I relax a bit?
I'd be really keen to hear your take on this and how you've dealt with these thoughts!

5 comments:

  1. As someone who did Optifast and gained a lot back afterwards, I can say that listening to that voice is really important. One little mistake opens the door for more until the choices have huge consequences. For me personally, there is no moderation on certain binge foods don't work if I bring those foods into my home. One scoop becomes two, three and then pretty soon the whole thing is gone. I have to recognize that the little voice telling me to step back has to be given the attention because it's the one that keeps me out of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kathy. Right now you are on a mission to reach your goal and you are doing it! I personally think it's really healthy and a great learning experience that you had those conversations with yourself. Not obsessive at all. If you can listen to the "angel" on your shoulder this time, you'll be ready to do it over and over again. Not that you will forever have to pass up a drink, but right now, during this healing and learning phase. That's my vote. But I hope you had a great time regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it probably isn't a good idea to stray from the plan for at least the first 50% of your weight loss but then I think it isn't always bad to start incorporating some "lifestyle" things back in, simply to get used to having them in your life again. Just my opinion. I was closely followed by a weight loss doctor who I discussed most of these types of things with. Alcohol is not recommended for a number of reasons but I was on Optifast over the holidays and my drink of choice was light beer (Michelob Ultra). So, I sort of made a deal with him that I would calculate how many calories I planned on drinking at a party then go run those calories off BEFORE I drank them. For two different parties I went to the gym and a little over two miles (back when I had first started running). The first time I did it, the beer was pretty good. The second time I decided that it was an awful lot of work ... and I would say ever since then and even since going into maintenance, I really do look at those "empty" calories differently. If I really want a beer and think it will fit in OK with my calorie burn, then I'll have one ... but I am much less likely now to drink, purely from a calorie standpoint. I think this thinking could apply to many of the things we ate and drank in excess before starting on Optifast....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your replies, everyone! I really appreciate all of your input. I think you're all right that for now, sticking to the plan should be the main focus. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and perspectives. It makes me feel less alone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You already know my opinion :) No cheating EVER no way no how, nil, nada, nope.... I also do not think a lifestyle has to have alcohol or any other empty calories in it in your future after the diet is over.... where is it written that alcohol or cake or potato chips are part of a quality lifestyle ??

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!