Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Heart Health

Yesterday we had a free Heart Health check. It was provided by my work, which was pretty awesome. They had a lady come in and take a finger prick test for blood glucose and cholesterol, as well as taking our blood pressure and waist measurement.

I'm pleased to say that my results were quite good! My blood glucose was 4.9, which the lady said was really great considering I'd eaten lunch within the last two hours. Under 5.5 is the "Normal" range for a fasting test, so even having eaten I was still good! My cholesterol (they only tested total cholesterol) was also under 5.1!

My blood pressure was a little high - 130/80. But, the lady said that if I'd sat in the the chair a little longer, it might have got down closer to normal (120/80). But 130/80 isn't too bad. It's considered High/Normal. I am a bit of a stresshead, so I guess I should just be careful and watch those levels. The good thing was that it also showed my heart rate was at 60bpm - which is right at the lowest end of 'Normal'. With a bit more fitness I could get into 'Athlete' territory! Woo!

The one part I failed was waist measurement. They measure right around the belly button, which isn't my smallest part (some places just take the smallest part of your torso as your "waist"). But, I would have been over 80cms anyway. I was 93cm, which, to me, was great. I know I was 120cm when I started my Optifast journey 6 months ago. So, I really can't complain about that. I'm not sure if I'll ever be one of those people that get below 80cm around the belly button. I guess I'll see when I get closer to goal weight, and have lost a few more cms from my resistance training.

All in all, I was really pleased with my results. I remember my blood glucose levels being around 7, which is getting into Type 2 Diabetes territory. I am so glad that I made some changes to my health before I got to that point.

I think it's really important to see these kind of changes in my health. It's made me stop and reflect on how much healthier I feel and how much easier it is to just be alive now. Walking, running, getting out of bed, standing for extended periods of time, doing housework, cleaning myself, getting dressed, putting on makeup, tying my shoes... all these things are so much easier now.

Really, in just 6 months I have completely turned my health around. When you put that in perspective, that really is inspiring. I was obese for years. I have had issues with eating and been at least overweight my entire teenage and adult life. But, with 6 months of hard work, I've been able to make huge changes to my health. So, if anyone is out there reading and wondering if it's worth it...? It is. It really is.

My body has put up with a lot of rubbish from me in the past. I think it deserves to be feeling better these days. And I'm promising it now that I won't stop here. I'm going to get to a healthy weight. I'm going to continue to put good, nutritious foods inside it. And I'm going to continue to give it the exercise it needs to stay strong and healthy. My body and I are worth it!

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you!