Saturday, January 25, 2014

Distractions

This weekend (long weekend) has been pretty great so far! The boyfriend and I took the day off on Friday, and Monday is a public holiday for Australia day, so 4 day weekend - sweet?! Sweet.

Bedroom Wall Art
I have plans this weekend. I need to get started on the paving out the front - which I have been putting off like nothing else. And, to further distract me, I have been hit with a wave of inspiration to create artwork!

We bought our house about 6 months ago and before that we rented. So, we never had much to have on the walls seeing as you usually weren't allowed to drill any holes. And even then, what little we had wasn't enough to fill a 4 bedroom house. I've been looking around online and in markets/stores for some artwork for the walls. I have certain colours I'm looking for to match the decor in the rooms I already have. I have really found nothing that I liked - except pieces over $400. But, considering I need at least 5 LARGE pieces, that is a little out of my price range.

One night last week I couldn't sleep very well so I was up a lot of the night thinking. Suddenly I remembered some advice that a friend gave me many years ago. She was really into the real estate game and had been buying houses, renovating, renting them, building equity and buying more for many years. And she was only 27 (at the time). She told me that a great way of decorating for cheap was to cover canvases with fabric. 

It's funny how the old brain works. It managed to pull some great advice out of the dark recesses of my memory. And now... here I am: making art! 

Dining Room Wall Art
After dragging the poor boyfriend round $2 shops and fabric stores, I have a bag full of offcuts and a stash of cheap canvases. And a staple gun (yay!)

So, I've been making art. I've made 3 sets so far. 1 for the dining room, 1 for the bedroom and 1 for... not sure yet! It's definitely a lot of fun, and the day is flying by without my thinking much about food. And that has made me realise that being bored at work is the thing making me hungry. So, hopefully with the recent developments things will get a little more interesting there for me!

Today is a good day. And tomorrow I'll be listening to the JJJ Hottest 100/ watching Cricket /watching tennis and swimming in a pool. Life is good. 

And let me just thank everyone who has been supporting me lately. It was a little bit of a tough week with the hunger getting to me eventually. But, I'm proud to say that I haven't caved in, even when things got tough. Which is great. The more I'm strong, the stronger I am. So, thank you for being there when I didn't feel so strong here, on MFP, in the Facebook groups and on the forums. It means so much to me and it has really helped me pull through.

Not sure where these are going...
WIL: Hunger! 
WIG: Fun, distractions, some home-crafted art for my walls, and a fantastic support network (love you all).

2 comments:

  1. The artwork is beautiful and you are an inspiration to me! Glad that I found your blog at this time in my life. Cheers, Christy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Christy. You're very kind. Loving your blog too. :-)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!