Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Salad Jars

I found out about these little beauties from this article, but it appears that the trend has been all over the net, particularly Pinterst for some time. I bought some jars at Red Dot over the weekend for about $3 each and had my first go at making one last night.

I made up a dressing of:
- 1 tsp Olive Oil (my daily oil allowance)
- 1 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- a shake of pepper, salt and garlic powder.

So, that went into the bottom, then some chopped mushies in on top of that to soak up the flavour. I wasn't how to order the layers of the rest of the veg. But, I knew the spinach/lettuce was supposed to go on top. Keeping the leafy stuff out of the dressing is what helps it keep fresh/unsoggy for up to 10 days in the fridge.

Anyway, mine only got to sit overnight because I took it to work for lunch today. The mushrooms had really soaked up the dresing and it was honestly bl**dy delicious!! I reckon I could make up 5 at the start of a work week and take one for lunch every day. The ones towards the end of the week would probably taste even better!

I think the idea that your meat (or mushrooms in my case) get a chance to marinate a bit in the dressing without making the whole thing go soggy is really wonderful. Then, of course, when I emptied it all out, the flavours got nice and mixed in with the whole salad.

I just love looking at it and all the pretty colours. I totally eat with my eyes. It is rather faddy, I agree, but it's just very fun and whimsical and really a cool way to get excited about salads!

Can't wait to be able to put a bit of chicken and/or cheese in there come Transition!
 

Marcie and Fyfe
In other news, the new cats are settling in pretty well. They are getting more confident around us every day. I am trying to be patient, but I really can't wait until they come and sit on our laps and give cuddles!
 
I'm feeling generally more positive this week. I've decided to just take it fairly easy on the exercise front and just stick to my walking plus a very light session of weights on Mon-Wed-Fri. I can slightly feel it in my butt today (from squats/lunges), so even a small session must be worth something!

Blood tests are on Friday morning, which I have been dreading. But, that should give the doc a good idea of how I'm doing and he should be able to recommend how I should proceed from here. Whether I do a couple of weeks of Transition and come back to Intensive or whether I just go Transition from now on. We shall see!

1 comment:

  1. Pretty! Thanks for sharing the idea. I can't wait to eat veggies again!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!